I’ve thought about this problem a lot. How? Is it possible to get the entire world of adults taking part, in some form, in children’s education?
What follows are a few of the ways I (and some of my wonderful friends/mentors) have come up with to do this. I’d like to know:
- Tell me about your dream educational experience. Tell me – what would education look like in your ideal world? What would it feel like? What would it do?
- Any thoughts on these specific ideas? Do any of them make you sit up straighter in your chair and widen your eyes? Why? And why not?
- Why are these bad ideas? Tell me why you think these would fail.
- And then tell me how you think we can make them happen.
- And finally, what else? What other things am I not thinking about? What other ideas are there?
1. Skillshare for Kids
Extracurricular classes designed for kids and taught by professionals in a wide array of industries. Example: Afterschool or weekend workshops to teach how to code, how to design, how to create a marketing pitch, etc.
2. Catchafire for Teachers
A platform to help teachers find guest speakers for their classroom
3. Supplementary assignments provided by industry professionals
Example: 10 physicists can develop supplementary labs or assignments for each week of a physics curriculum that a physics teacher will take and do with their class
4. TED for the classroom
Set up livestreams or Google Hangouts with people around the world that teachers can stream into their classrooms
And yes, I would love, love to talk about this in person. Drop me a line (email@example.com) – drinks on me.